Eating Disorders Statistics on Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder Statistics on Eating Disorders
Statistics on Eating Disorders
Eating disorders, like anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating, are becoming increasingly prevalent throughout western countries. According to US estimates from The National Institute of Mental Health, between 5 per cent and 10 per cent of girls and women (i.e. 5-10 million people) and 1 million boys and men suffer from eating disorders, including anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, or other associated dietary conditions. Estimates suggest that as many as 15 percent of young women adopt unhealthy attitudes and behaviors about food.
- An estimated 10 per cent of female college students suffer from a clinical or sub-clinical (borderline) eating disorder, of which over half suffer from bulimia nervosa.
- An estimated 1 in 100 American women binges and purges to lose weight.
- Approximately 5 per cent of women and 1 percent of men have anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or binge eating disorder.
- 15 per cent of young women have significantly disordered eating attitudes and behavior.
- It is estimated that 200,000 to 300,000 Canadian women aged 13 to 40 have anorexia nervosa and twice as many have bulimia.
- Studies suggest that 5 to 10 percent of people with anorexia or bulimia are males.
- An estimated 1 in 3 of all dieters develop compulsive dieting attitudes and behaviors.
Of these, one quarter will develop full or partial eating disorders.
- In the UK, nearly 2 in every 100 secondary school girls suffer from anorexia nervosa,
bulimia nervosa or binge eating disorder.
- Due to the incidence of co-occurring medical conditions, it is almost impossible to specify the morbidity rates for eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia or binge eating. However, general estimates suggest that as many as 10-15 per cent of eating disorders are fatal for those affected.
- Each day Americans spend an average of $109 million on dieting and diet related products.
Many eating disorders go unreported
Because of the guilt and consequent secretiveness of eating disorders (esp. bulimia and binge-eating) it is likely that many instances go unreported. Thus a higher incidence of eating disorders is almost certain.
Increased social pressure to be thin
According to studies into diet, weight loss and body shape, many individuals feel dissatisfied with their body shape, and develop sub-clinical / borderline eating disorder attitudes and behaviors. For example, 80 per cent of American women claim to be dissatisfied with their appearance and shape, and 1 in 2 American women are on a weight loss diet. The prevailing standards of body weight and shape, as revealed in the use of abnormally thin models in the media, continue to emphasize the idea that “thin is beautiful” and (one suspects) only make things worse for adolescents and adults with borderline anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorders.
Attitudes to weight, shape and diet in pre-teens and teens
For example, 40 per cent of 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade girls want to be thinner. And 80 per cent of 10 year olds are worried in case they become fat. In another survey, 70 percent of 6th grade girls surveyed said that their concern about their weight, shape and diet started when they were aged 9-11.
- In a study of children aged 8-10, approximately 50 per cent of girls said they were unhappy with their size.
- In a study of girls aged 9-15, more than 50 per cent claimed they exercised to lose weight, nearly 50 per cent claimed they reduced food intake in order to lose weight, and approximately 5 per cent claimed to use their parents’ diet pills or laxatives in order to lose weight.
ANNE COLLINS WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
My System | Weight Loss Diet Program | 9 Diet Programs – Try Them All! | GI Diet | Low Carb Diet | Balanced Diet
Low Calorie Booster Diet | Cholesterol-Lowering Diet | Vegetarian Diet | Support | Weight Loss Forum
Our Weight Loss Community | Weight Management Program Information For Doctors
OBESITY, OVERWEIGHT and HEALTH
Weight Loss Help | Healthy Weight Advice | Health Risks of Obesity | Body Mass Index Chart | Obesity Information
Weight & Health Risks | Ideal Weight for Women | Ideal Weight for Men | Waist Circumference | Body Fat Percent
Body Fat & Health | Body Fat Calculators | Reduce Fat Belly | Obesity & Breast Cancer | What Causes Weight Gain
Hypothyroidism | Weight Loss Plateau | Healthy Cholesterol Level | How to Lower Cholesterol | Low Cholesterol Diet
Diabetes Diet | Diabetic Diet Questions | Eating Disorders | Food Cravings | Health & Weight Benefits of Exercise
Weight Loss Tips | Best Support Group | Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Lose Last 10 Pounds | Nutrition and Pregnancy
Lose Weight After Pregnancy | Weight Loss – Pregnancy | Mid-Life Weight Gain | Weight Control in Menopause
Menopause & Diet | Weight and Depression | Teen Weight Loss & Healthy Eating | Help For Overweight Children
Child Obesity | Weight Chart For Children | Weight Loss For Men | Fast Weight Loss | Raise Metabolism
Best Exercise to Burn Calories | Exercise and Calories Burned | Diet Pills | Weight Loss Drugs to Reduce Obesity
Bariatric Surgery | Gastrointestinal Surgery | Health Dangers of Bariatric Surgery | Health Dangers of Gastric Bypass
Weight Loss Programs | Articles | Weight Loss Questions | How to Reduce Weight | Weight Loss Advice
DIETING and DIETARY ADVICE
Healthy Diet Advice | Healthy Diets For Women | Reviews of Diets | Diet News | Fad Diets | Cabbage Soup Diet
Weight Watchers Diet | Low Fat Diet | Carbs and Diet | Dr Atkins Diet | South Beach Diet | Zone | Cider Vinegar Diet
Carbs Guide | Carbs & Blood Sugar | Carbs & Insulin | Carbohydrate Needs | Glycemic Index Guide | GI Diet Method
Low GI Foods | Glycemic Load | Diets For Health | Diet & Health | Diet For High Blood Pressure | Fibromyalgia Diet
Gluten-Free Diet | Irritable Bowel (IBS) Diet | Lactose-Free Diet | Best PCOS Diet | PMS Diet | Online Diet Plans
ENERGY and NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Food Digestion | Calories Index | Guide to Calorie Needs | Calorie Needs for Women | Calories & Weight Loss
Burn Calories and Lose Weight | Calories Used by Exercise | Calorie Savings | Diet Nutrition | Vegetarian Nutrition
Guide to Healthy Diet | Guide to Healthy Eating | Diet Foods | Diet Fat | Good Fat | Protein in Diet | Protein Needs
Good Protein | Good Carbs | Dietary Fiber Guide | Sodium in Diet | Dietary Sugar | Water Needs Add Your Site |